5 million boat owners annually spend 60 million paying nights in different guest harbours. All of these boat owners and harbours benefit from Mooringo who is first in the world to take a holistic approach to this global boat tourism problem.
We expect a ten-time valuation of the company within five years.
- 5 free booking fees when booking a vacant mooring with Mooringo.
Investment over SEK 5,000
- 10 free booking fees
- Club flag to carry on the boat showing that you are in the Mooringo team and help boat lovers all over to have a better holiday.
Investment over SEK 100,000
- Free booking fees for three years.
B shares, with 1/10 voting against A shares, are issued for investments under SEK 500 000.
The problem this product solves
Boat holiday should be synonymous with relaxation. Nevertheless, over 90% of boaters feel stressed that they may not make it to the marina in time to find a vacant mooring. Boaters are therefore forced to hurry and arrive early.
At the same time, all boat owners have left their moorings in ports, small boat clubs and private bays, which are now empty. Unfortunately, almost 80% of these empty moorings can not be used because neither the harbour nor a potential guest knows when the owner returns.
There is no easy way to communicate vacant moorings to both port and guest.
How the product solves it
Mooringo has created a digital guest harbor that can be managed by the boaters themselves.
How it works: Boaters enter in the app when their mooring is vacant. It is then immediately visible to both the harbormaster and all potential guests looking for a vacant mooring. Because no staff needs to be assigned, all existing - and also new - harbours, small boat clubs and private buoys with vacancy can now welcome visitors and payments at a very low cost. Boat lovers can finally relax and book places everywhere. Also in new destinations. Everyone is a winner.
Mooringo = Mooring let's go!
Mooringo is a sharing service. A comparison is with AirBnB and other digital services where available resources are rented, with the big difference that Mooringo does not replace any party, but instead only provides benefits to all involved.
• Individuals owning mooring or buoy can easily rent and get paid.
• Members in boat clubs are rewarded for marking vacant.
• Harbour is marketed, receives more guests and more revenue.
• Harbour needs no staff to handle mooring availability, make reservations or collect payments.
• Boat guests can easily find, book and pay for all available guest places. Everywhere.
Product use cases
A family from boat club A is going on a boat trip. They mark in the Mooringo app that they are gone 3 days so boat club A can receive visitors and earn incomes while they are gone. Mooringo rewards the family with discounts on overnight stays in other destinations.
Later that afternoon, the family is a bit up the coast and clearly sees in the Mooringo app that nearby harbor B has a vacant mooring that fits the family's boat. They read about the harbor details and decide to book and pay for the mooring.
Could it be easier?
Robert Mertens Founder and CEO
MBA at University of Karlstad and Gothenburg, Sweden. Started Msc. Information Systems at Hawaii Pacific University, US. and is professional system developer since 1998. Co-founder of Xtellus and the Black Flag Alliance in the field of e-commerce and systems integration since 2008. Programming all server logic for Mooringo. Robert sails ... See more
MBA at University of Karlstad and Gothenburg, Sweden. Started Msc. Information Systems at Hawaii Pacific University, US. and is professional system developer since 1998. Co-founder of Xtellus and the Black Flag Alliance in the field of e-commerce and systems integration since 2008. Programming all server logic for Mooringo. Robert sails himself a 37-foot Dutchman in steel. Likes all kinds of outdoor activities. See less
Hans Larsson Boardmember
Educated at the University of Gothenburg in System Science. 20 years of work experience. Worked for Open Text, Stream Serve but now in communication, education and strategy via own company. He has been Head Coach @ GKSS in Smögen as well as produced parts of the Swedeish Sailing Association's sailing ... See more
Educated at the University of Gothenburg in System Science. 20 years of work experience. Worked for Open Text, Stream Serve but now in communication, education and strategy via own company. He has been Head Coach @ GKSS in Smögen as well as produced parts of the Swedeish Sailing Association's sailing certificate handbooks. Hans knows everything about boating and is a ballboard for all product development. See less
Ann-Sofie Sträng Boardmember
Educated at the University of Gothenburg. Ann-Sofie is CFO and Chairman of Elektron Music Machines, a growth company in an expansive international phase. Ann-Sofie has previously run her own accounting agency. Ann-Sofie assists Mooringo with financial issues and expertise in the direction of growing companies aiming to become international.
Fredrik Jerlov Business advisor
Fredrik is a well-known name in advertising context in Gothenburg, and has been running the advertising agency Truth for a long time. Fredrik is a boardmember of the locally best soccer club Örgryte IS and the theme park Liseberg AB. Fredrik assists Mooringo with life experience, networking and long-term marketing ... See more
Fredrik is a well-known name in advertising context in Gothenburg, and has been running the advertising agency Truth for a long time. Fredrik is a boardmember of the locally best soccer club Örgryte IS and the theme park Liseberg AB. Fredrik assists Mooringo with life experience, networking and long-term marketing strategy. See less
Therese Gustavsson Graphical Designer/Project leader
Graphic designer educated at the National Technical University of Athens. Previously at Lowe Lintas Worldwide and Extreme Media Solutions in Athens. Therese designs all UI, designs trade shows and creates all graphic printing materials for Mooringo. She's all you see of Mooringo.
Rossana Palacios Agent Southwest Europe
MBA from Universidad de La Sabana, Colombia Agent for Mooringo on the Iberian Peninsula and southern France. Rossana has previously worked as project manager and marketing manager at Core-Building, exploration and construction of hotels in Columbia and Portugal. Ambitious girl who helps Mooringo adapt to commercial ports in southern Europe.
Viktor Claesson Consultant: Developer Mobile
Electrical engineer at Chalmers in Gothenburg. Viktor has over 10 years experience in system development. Co-worker to Robert since 2006 from Iptor Supply Chain Systems and Xtellus. Head of mobile app development at Mooringo.
Jonathan Quinth Consultant: Developer Web
Software Engineer at Colorado Technical University. Jonathan has 10 years experience in system development. Professional colleague to Robert since former assignments for the New Wave Group. Worked at Surgical Science AB and now at IoSoft AB. Head of Mooringo Marina web development at Mooringo.
The world market consists of 5 million boat owners with access to both overnight boats and internet. They spend 60 million paying nights in guest harbours.
All harbours and boat owners benefit greatly from what Mooringo delivers.
Our start market, Sweden, consists of 100,000 boat owners spending 500,000 nights in more than 400 marinas. In addition, there are another 1,000 ports and boat clubs in Sweden that now can open up to paying guests using Mooringo.
We see the same needs for Mooringo in the rest of Europe and the world.
Mooringo is going to sail out in the world!
Digitization of boating is still in its infancy. There are a few players in the world that offer booking and payment systems to help the most popular marinas increase their service levels. However, nobody has taken an overall approach to the problem.
- Dockspot.se is the largest player in Sweden with its booking system since 2009.
- Harba.dk is a booking system in Denmark that cooperates with the Danish Sailing Association.
- GoMarina.no is a Norwegian system of parking vending machines. They are potential partners and cooperation has been discussed.
For more information, see the Business Plan.
Unique differentiator from competitors
- Mooringo is a rental system and we are the only player in the world to build the business idea around sharing economics where boat owners themselves can run the system.
- Mooringo can exist alongside competing systems in the same port,
- It is only Mooringo which can virally rent out all kinds of available moorings in all kind of harbours. Guest moorings, member moorings, stand-alone buoys and moorings at private docks.
- It is only Mooringo which also includes a destination service for harbours where their local businesses and events can market themselves to boat guests.
Company revenue streams
Mooringo has three sources of income:
- Commission on bookings.
- License fees from harbours for Mooringo Marina.
- Advertising revenue from local businesses and brands.
- Mooringo Mobile app is downloaded completely free at Google Play or Apple AppStore.
- Mooringo Marina, the harbor system, is applied for via the website mooringo.com. After approved application, the harbour area is drawn and the first moorings to display in the app are listed. A simple process that takes less than an hour to complete because already existing templates are available.
Sep 2015 - The company starts.
Feb 2016 - Booth at the boat fairs in Stockholm and Gothenburg.
May 2016 - Launches the app.
Oct 2016 - 2,000 users and 5 harbours.
Nov 2016 - Websummit fair in Lisbon. Rossana comes aboard.
Apr 2017 - Investors contribute 1.5 M SEK.
Jun 2017 - New revised version of app and web.
Christmas 2017 - First harbour in Norway.
Sep 2017 - Speaker at Stora Connect-day in Gothenburg.
Oct 2017 - Booth at the fair 'Destination Harbour' in Gothenburg.
Dec 2017 - 4,000 users and 10 harbours.
March 2018 - Cooperation with VisitSweden.com
Next key objectives
8 000 users and 20 harbours in 2018.
30 000 users and 75 harboursin 2019.
80 000 users and 200 harbours in 2020. Profit.
The company has been funded mostly by the founder himself, Robert Mertens, who currently owns 70% of the company. A seed investment has been made by four external investors, each of which owns between five to ten percent of the company. In addition, two employees own less than three percent each. Institutional funding has been in the form of loans from Almi Invest and Almi Företagspartner.
For more information, see the Business Plan.
Use of funds
The capital will be used for market phase where we aim to become an influential player in the Swedish market, which is a prerequisite for international expansion.
80% of the capital will be used for marketing in an effort to connect more harbours and thereby rapidly increase the proportion of vacant moorings. Available moorings is our main strategy to attract boat owners to download and use Mooringo.
The rest of the capital will be used to further develop a few competitive features in Mooringo which are expected to give us even more users.
We steer towards an IPO or M&A deal within 3-5 years, at a valuation 10 times higher than the current one
- Inadequate vacant moorings in the app is our challenge during the construction phase of all markets: This is bridged with focus on other features in the app that will help the boat owner to have a better boat holiday.
- Sharing economics can be counteracted by organizations: Mooringo manages this by informing and building partnerships with credible partners in the boat industry and tourism industry.
- Actor with major financial muscles takes up competition: At the moment, we may have a technical head start in just over a year.