- We’ve seen a strong international retail interest and we will use the funding to build a dedicated sales team to serve B2B and B2C channels
- We have a newly developed product which has received praise by retail partners
- We project a three times YoY growth trajectory – meaning that we will be selling 100k products in a short timeframe
- New technologies like voice control will play to our advantage in the years to come
- We offer shareholders 30% product discounts
- In addition to earning money, be a part of an extraordinary journey
The problem this product solves
Technology products tend to stress function over form. They’re not intuitive nor crafted to enhance your home. Also, a majority of the products on the market is designed in cheap materials with no focus on sustainability. We design our speakers to be easily disassembled, so that parts can be replaced or reused in future speakers to eliminate waste. Not to mention the timeless design that makes our speakers relevant today, tomorrow and beyond.
How the product solves it
Our philosophy is to create products that understand people’s needs. Solutions that are honest and simple. Iconic design that transcends trends, lasts a lifetime and maybe most importantly – fits into any home. By focusing on sleek and minimal design, we aim to enhance your home. Using high-quality audio components and materials our speakers deliver a rich, crystal clear sound experience.
Transparent Speaker's technical and design considerations go far beyond its minimalistic exterior. Its built-in amplifier features embedded digital signal processing (DSP) that translates into a rich, full, balanced sound on par with audio systems above its own category. Bluetooth 5 has a four times (4x) longer range than before, meaning you can leave the room without the signal breaking. Today our range of the Transparent Speaker consists of two sizes. Our ambition is to expand with more colors and options during 2017.
Product use cases
Our products are used in the home but we also see them in places like restaurants, studios and hairdressers. Our range contain two sizes: The larger speakers that get’s people dancing in a living room and the smaller one that get’s you dancing while cooking or getting out of bed.
We have influential creatives as our customers. Pewdiepie – YouTube’s biggest star – keeps a Transparent Speaker in his office. Founding member of Swedish House Mafia – Steve Angello – listens to his new songs on our speakers. From Stockholm to Tokyo, people share their experiences via the #transparentspeaker hashtag.
Martin Willers CEO
Martin is a open, smart and visionary executive that energize his co-workers. He co-founded Scandinavia's leading IoT design consultancy PEOPLE PEOPLE in 2010 and has been responsible for the business development of Transparent Speaker. He holds diplomas in virtual reality engineering and entrepreneurship and two bachelors in industrial design and ... See more
Martin is a open, smart and visionary executive that energize his co-workers. He co-founded Scandinavia's leading IoT design consultancy PEOPLE PEOPLE in 2010 and has been responsible for the business development of Transparent Speaker. He holds diplomas in virtual reality engineering and entrepreneurship and two bachelors in industrial design and visual communication. Kickstarter recently appointed him a community thought leaders to celebrate his creative successes in consumer hardware and community influence. See less
Magnus Wiberg Sales Director
Magnus is a likeable, positive and engaging leader with a deep network and knowledge about sales B2B, B2C and business development. In his previously roles as sales director for Uniforms For The Dedicated 2012-2017 where he successfully worked with some of the biggest and most recognized department stores around the ... See more
Magnus is a likeable, positive and engaging leader with a deep network and knowledge about sales B2B, B2C and business development. In his previously roles as sales director for Uniforms For The Dedicated 2012-2017 where he successfully worked with some of the biggest and most recognized department stores around the globe such as Liberty London, Printemp Paris and Isetan Tokyo. See less
Leo Heung Sourcing & Manufacturing Director
Leo is a curious, friendly and clever people person. With 24 years experience in manufacturing and development he knows exactly what happens between concept to container. His corporate career includes 4 years as Asst. R&D Director in GAI, NYSE listed household appliances manufacturing group. Leo has masters degree in Marketing ... See more
Leo is a curious, friendly and clever people person. With 24 years experience in manufacturing and development he knows exactly what happens between concept to container. His corporate career includes 4 years as Asst. R&D Director in GAI, NYSE listed household appliances manufacturing group. Leo has masters degree in Marketing Management and Bachelor in Industrial Design from Hong Kong Polytechnic University. He speaks Mandarin, Cantonese and a few more regional dialects. See less
Neil Woolfries IoT Engineering Director
Neil is a dependable, focused and cheerful systems designer. He has worked on a wide array of connected consumer electronics projects. His clients include Intel. He has a masters degree in Efficient Hardware Implementation and a bachelor of Electronic & Electrical Engineering from University of Strathclyde.
Per Brickstad Industrial Design Director
Per is a fast, clever and creative design director and doer. He has led many successful start-up design projects such as Narrative, Flic, Watty and Transparent Speaker. His corporate career includes a design role for Nokia gears and many awards.
Anna Palleschitz Brand and Quality Director
Anna is a inspired, precise and fun project leader. She has been working on huge and prestigious new product lines for companies like Electrolux, Samsung and Ikea. Her eye for quality is legendary.
Johan Frössen Design Strategy Director
Johan is an insightful, clear and compassionate strategic leader and design thinker. He as helped several large organisations become more innovative. He has a red dot for “best of the best” at Nokia and has worked with Nevs Electric cars, Miele and Ikea.
Joachim Öjeryd Online Store Marketing Director
Joachim is a genuine, fun and inventive communicator. He has shouldered leadership roles such as CTO at the online Marketplace Barnebys.com and co-founded creative communication agencies.
We primarily focus on people in the age span of 24 – 44 with money to spend on design and audio. By developing more speaker models, in different colors, at a competitive price point, we expect to expand our partnership with our existing retailers (such as MoMA, Harrods and Grandpa) and to start new relations. The speakers will be sold in respected interior stores, lifestyle shops, audio stores, fashion retailers and design hotels.
There are many companies in the business of home audio. Our main competitors are strong premium lifestyle brands such as B&O Play, Marshall and Sonos. The market is also being disrupted by early adoption of low priced speakers with unique voice control technologies from Amazon (Alexa), Google (Assistant) and maybe soon Apple (Siri).
Unique differentiator from competitors
With Transparent Speakers being born online, we have a unique and authentic approach to our customers. We focus on delivering products that stand out. Unique design and high-quality components and materials are key. This means no shortcuts or compromises. We’re passionate about combining technology with sustainability. And we think that this is an important reason to why our brand connects so well with lifestyle product retailers.
Company revenue streams
The largest growth potential comes from our own B2B sales, soon to represent 75% of the turnover during the first coming years. In markets where language can be a barrier we use sales agencies and distributors to reach out to partners. Crowdfunding is in our DNA and we see it as a great way to launch new products. Dedicated fans become brand ambassadors, and in return we offer them our speakers at a lower price. Selling through our own e-commerce creates better margins which leads to us being able to invest in great service.
Most of our sales 2016 comes from Europe but we delivered most speakers to the New York customers. Our turnover for 2016 was 2,4m SEK including our US subsidiary. We have warehouses in Europe and US that distributes our speakers B2C and B2B.
- 75% B2B retail distribution which includes shop-in-shops over time
- In key markets sales will be conducted from in-house team
- In some markets sales will be conducted via agencies and distributors
- 25% Online e-commerce (transparentspeaker.com)
We spread our message in social channels as well as media through our own press contacts and network of PR agencies.
- Featured in Will.I.Am, Britney Spears and Robyn’s music videos 2013
- Kickstarter crowdfunding 2013
- First mass production shipped from China 21st of April 2014
- Voted Europe’s top 100 Start-up by Wired UK September 2014
- First 1m SEK purchase order 2016
- Transparent Speakers sold at world-renowned museum MoMA 2016
- Release of the new product Small Transparent Speaker 2017
Next key objectives
- Equity crowdfunding Q2 2017
- Tradeshows participation Q3 2017
- Production starts Q3 2017
- Go to market activities Q3 2017
- Launch of smaller BT5 speaker product towards end consumers Q4 2017
- Start developing of Voiced controlled speakers Q4 2017
- 3x YoY Growth leading to +€ 50m revenue in 2022
- Transparent Speaker received around 1m SEK (169k USD) in reward based crowdfunding on Kickstarter
- Transparent Speaker has been incubated by design studio People People from idea stage to profitable sales
- High-profile retailers such as MoMA, RH.com, Le Bon Marché and Harrods
- Highly efficient logistics hubs
- Highly developing/dynamic e-commerce platform (Tictail)
- High-quality manufacturing partner and tooling specialistInternationally known artists and creatives that bring authenticity
Use of funds
- 20% Salary for Sales Director in order to develop our B2B sales organization
- 70% Develop and launch our second product with Bluetooth 5 for Q4
- 10% Increase marketing efforts and drive conversion to boost online sales
- Coolest Tech at CES
- What HiFi: Best HiFi project on Kickstart
- Voted Europes 100 Hottest Start-up by Wired UK
- Full page in Elle, Wired and Dagens Industri (the leading business newspaper in Sweden
- 2.9m views on unboxing video
- Famous creatives as customers: Steve Angello, Oskar Linnros, PewDiePie
- For short term sales of stock, FundedByMe will host second hand market trading days
- In 3-5 years we see a great opportunity to exit as we will be ready for a public offering of acquisition by a larger company.
Time to market
Consumer hardware has many time delaying risk such as:
- Lead time on specially sourced parts
- High MOQs (minimum order quantities)
- Certifications and LicensesInternational Shipping and customs brokerage
We mitigate these risks by traveling to our partners as often as we can so that we are aligned on the product vision and optimize our bill of material and manufacturing cost so we both can make money on the product. We take manufacturing very seriously.
The technology components used are commoditized so brands differentiate mostly with branding. We compete with world leading in design and quality.